Adams 12 Five Star Schools has a counseling curriculum that aligns with state legislation, Colorado’s Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP); and national school counseling standards developed by the American School Counseling Association (ASCA). It offers opportunities for students to explore careers and college, strengthen academic skills, and provides supports for social and emotional development.
The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model is endorsed by all school counselors in Adams 12 Five Star Schools. ASCA provides school counselors with the ability to develop and implement a comprehensive school counseling program. All of the ASCA student standards fall into three domains of development: academic, career and social emotional. School counselors work with students individually, in small groups, and in classrooms to deliver curriculum and foster their sense of success and well-being.
The Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) is a multi-year process that intentionally guides students and families in the exploration of career, academic and postsecondary opportunities. With the support of adults, students develop the awareness, knowledge, attitudes, and skills to create their own meaningful and powerful pathways to be career and college ready. Students’ store their ICAP plans in Naviance where they have access to it anytime.
Middle School curriculum at-a-glance
|Organization and Time Management||Career Key||Second STEP Social Emotional Learning (SEL)Lesson|
|Elementary to Middle School Transition Lesson||
Log on and Tutorial
- Transitioning to Middle School/Organization/Learning Styles: August 21, 22, 24 (Social Studies classes)
- Bullying Lesson - Being an Upstander: October 16, 17, 19 (Math classes)
- Intro to Naviance*/Career Awareness: February 5, 6, 8 (Science classes)
|Goal Lesson||StengthsExplorer||Second STEP Social Emotional Learning (SEL)Lesson|
|Graduation Requirement||Career Exploration||Signs of Suicide|
- Signs of Suicide: September 19 (Science)
- Empathy & Communication: August 28, 29, 31 (Social Studies)
- Career/Naviance* (Strengths Explorer): November 6,7,9 Social Studies )
- Academic Goals/ Naviance: January 22, 23, 25 (Math)
- High School Readiness: April 9, 10,12 (Science)
|Career Research Lesson||Career Research Lesson||Second STEP Social Emotional Learning (SEL)Lesson|
|Graduation Requirement||Career Exploration|
- Emotion Management: September 6, 7, 9 (Science Classes)
- Career/Naviance*: October 3, 5, 6 (Math Classes)
- Career Fair Lesson: October 31, Nov. 1, 3 (Social Studies )
- High School Readiness/ 4-year plan: February 27, 28, March 2 (Social Studies)